As a nurse, you are always on your feet. You, therefore, need shoes that will give you the support and comfort you need for those long workweeks. This review will help you narrow down on your search for comfortable nursing shoes.
Having the right pair of shoes can ensure maximum productivity and relieve pains and sores associated with being on you’re feet all day. Diseases such as deep vein thrombosis and varicosities can be avoided by wearing the right type of shoe. Read this detailed research article on the benefits of having the right pair of shoes for nurses.
What are the most comfortable nursing shoes?
This is a question that a lot of nurses ask often. In order to find the most comfortable nursing shoe, there are a number of factors we have to consider.
A comfortable nursing shoe should have high-quality material. We are talking leather, original leather with a rubber sole, and not synthetic. A nursing shoe made with high quality is also more durable.
A comfortable nursing shoe should have great, supportive and non-slip soles. This prevents falling on slippery floors and gives good balance on bio-based tiles and sheet tile floors which are common in hospitals.
The last thing you want as a nurse on your feet all day is a heavy shoe. Lighter shoes make you feel like your walking on clouds, which is what you want, rather than making you tired after a long shift.
Easy to clean
Although this is not about comfortability of the shoe, it is a good feature to have. No one wants to take hours cleaning a shoe, especially not a nurse.
With the aforementioned factors, here are our top recommendation on the most comfortable nursing shoes.
1. Timberland Pro Renova Slip-On Clog
For nurses who are constantly on the go, The Renova Slip-On is definitely one of the most comfortable nursing shoes you can buy. While many nurses have a hard time finding stylish, comfortable and safe shoes for work, with Renova Slip on, they do not have to search for the best nursing shoes. These are the kind of shoes that they have been looking for.
· Material– These slip on are manufactured from out of quality leather with the sole made of a sturdy and durable rubber. Since the soles have a heavy traction, they can be won even on the most slippery floors
· Sizing– When looking for one, it’s recommended that you purchase a slightly larger size than what you normally wear. A slightly larger size will also help you cater for the thick socks that you need to wear.
· Platform and heel height– These shoes are 2 inches off the ground. This is suitable for women since they need more cushion for comfort.
· Safety features– The outsole comes with urethane feature that makes them completely abrasion and slip oil resistant. They are also equipped with a safe grip tread. This provides the maximum amount of traction on wet and dry surfaces.
· Arches and comfort– These shoes are manufactured specifically with medical professionals and nurses in mind. This means they have a comfortable shape and a soft cushion base to support the natural movements of your feet as you walk.
- Just a tap too big
2. Dansko Women’s Pro Mule Shoe
Dansko women’s shoe is a type of shoe suited for an individual who works in the nursing field. It provides the nurses with the support needed for the many hours that they spend on their feet working. Anyone in the nursing industry usually spends at least 12 hours on her feet. Dansko clogs, therefore, offers nurses the comfortable pair of shoes that they need to ensure that their work is comfortable. As slip-on shoes, they do not apply as much pressure or tension typical of a sneaker.
· Arch support– This shoe has an exceptional arch support to ensure that your feet remain comfortable throughout the day.
· Slip-resistant rubber sole– It also has a slip-resistant rubber sole to suit a variety of lifestyle and occupational settings.
· Rocker bottom – It has a rocker bottom that offers shock absorption to reduce fatigue.
· Compatible with all wears– This shoe is also compatible for wear with both custom and standard orthotics.
· As compared to other similar shoes, it has a bit of cushion.
· Its instep will give your sole enough room.
· It’s tooled leather look is very pretty
· It has a fairly accurate sizing
· If you are buying it for the first time, you might prefer more air to circulate in your feet.
3. Alegria Women’s Paloma Flat
If there is any shoe that has everything that you’ve always cherished then this is the one. The built and innovative design makes it a class apart from comfort, style, and fitness. Due to its removable footbed, it’s customizable and adaptable. Even after a day long-standing job, it has the perfect platform sole. To ensure that your legs and back are in perfect health and shape, it gives you a proper standing posture. The Alegria Paloma is a favorite for many nurses, and one of the top comfortable nursing shoes.
· Deep inner space– To give you a capacious fit and avoid constraining your toes, these shoes have deep interiors.
· Firm and Flat rubber bottom– This clog have a firm and flat bottom so that with every step that you make, you will get maximum contact with the ground. It provides you with the feel, stability, and agility in your walks.
· Well structured footbed– It’s nicely designed footbed will keep you moving throughout the day. You will, therefore, spend longer periods of swiftness and enthusiasm.
· Excellent arch support.
· Easy on the bottoms of the feet.
· Doesn’t hurt after working all day.
· Sometimes you might be forced to wear socks.
4. Birkenstock Unisex Professional Boston
These shoes are not your average clogs since they are revamped model from the German’s shoemaker’s professionals with lots of features that nurses love. They are not only easy to clean but are also really stylish. They also come with the legendary insoles which are some of the best for maintaining your feet’s health after a long day at work. Apart from lasting long, they are one of the restorative choices that you can get for your feet.
· High quality– They have a high-quality leather finish. As you break them, this leather will soften. They are also easy to clean and polish.
· Cork Footbed– These shoes are equipped with Birkenstock cork footbed. If you have used the company’s sandals before then you know what to expect over time.
· They are slip resistant– Due to their specific insoles, they are slip resistant. They also have smaller treads that help you to maintain proper traction when walking.
· They are not meant for everyone.
· They do not have many color options.
5. Reebok Work n cushion
If you are constantly on your feet, then these shoes are ideal. Enhanced with a memory foam, these shoes are very comfortable especially if you are walking on a hard surface. They are not only available in black and white but can also be bought in different widths for better comfort.
Without sacrificing your comfort, these shoes are great for both working and walking. However, when looking for one you need to buy the right size. All in all, the Reebok Work and Cushion lives up to its name as one of the best comfortable nursing shoes.
· Low cut design– They have a low cut design which provides a comfortable wear for your ankles.
· Oil and slip resistant outsole– They have an oil resistant outsole that allows you to walk with them anywhere regardless of the weather.
· Synthetic weather material– With their synthetic leather material, they are really durable.
· They are available n black and white– They are available in black and white hence are the perfect shoes for functionality and simplicity.
· Slip resistant.
· It’s not one of the most favorable designs.
· Some people may not like the memory foam of the shoes.
6. Skechers Sport Women’s Loving Life Memory Foam Fashion Sneaker
These shoes have a smooth faux leather and lightweight mesh fabric upper. They also contain a soft fabric lining within ensuring comfortability of the user. The fabric overlays at side, heel, and top of the shoe.
They have a rubber outsole rubber sole making them very flexible and light. The midsole is lightweight and absorbs shock with a Flexsole midsole design which makes Sketchers a great choice when it comes to comfortable nursing shoes. The insole of the shoe is memory foam which is cushioned.
7. safeTstep Slip Resistant Women’s Athena
This kind of shoe is critical to nurses to prevent them from constantly slipping on the floors of the hospitals which usually have a lot of slippery substances lying on them. They are specially designed for the sole purpose of the safety of the nurse.
-Leather- this makes them very durable and strong
-slip and oil resistant- makes them ideal for walking on any surface despite the slipperiness of the floor/surface.
-comfortability- the shoe has a 24/7comfort insole and a lightweight EVA midsole and a non-marking outsole for sure footing. The breathable mesh lining prevents overheating effect on the feet
– water-resistant- increases the durability of the shoe
- safe as it is slip-resistant
- some prefer shoes not made of leather
8. Klogs USA Women’s Naples Mule
Klogs USA women’s Naples Mule shoes are very beneficial for the nurses. If you are one of those nurses who suffer from cervical spinal cord damage and numbness due to the long hours on their feet, then these Klogs will make your long shifts a breeze. Superior comfort and stability make the Naples Mule a great choice for comfortable nursing shoes.
-Comfortability- they provide comfort to the feet and general the body all day due to their make. They have removable, cushioned and supportive polyurethane insoles to ensure they are extra comfortable.
-Slip-resistant- this is due to their non-marking polyurethane outer soles that are extra flexible that is also synthetic.
-Good quality– Built with high-quality leather making them more durable
-Heel height and platform- the heel is approximately 2” in measurement while the platform measures 1 inch.
- Offers great comfort
- May be a little high for some nurses
9. Nurse Mates Annie Hi Classic Nursing Shoe
This is the kind of shoe that will take care of your feet as you take care of your work. It is made to meet the needs of nurses and medical professions. Annie hi incorporates a lace up system into the design including a snug fit while still enabling the nurse to enjoy the flexibility of a moccasin. One can be confident that the shoe will keep them going even through long shifts due to the added comfort of padded liners and shock absorbing bottoms. If you’re looking for a durable, stylish and comfortable nursing shoes, then the Nurse Mates Annie might just be the one you’re looking for.
– moccasin design- gives extra flexibility enabling the nurse to be fast and comfortable as she discharges her duties
–lace-Up- gives the foot extra security and keeps the shoe tight on the foot
-stain resistant- this keeps the shoe easy to clean and keep it neat always
– heel- the shoe has a comfortable 1.25inch heel as the feet are not subjected to straining by the low heel.
–cushioned inners- the cushion provides extra comfort to the feet of the nurse. This enables them to work for long hours without developing complications on their feet and legs.
- Some may prefer leather to moccasin
- Some don’t like lace-up shoes
10. Brooks Women’s Ghost 10 Neutral Cushioned Running Shoe
It is no secret that a nurse’s job description includes running through the halls of the hospitals during emergencies. The Brooks Women’s Ghost 10 neutral cushioned running shoe is one of the best and comfortable nursing shoes for a nurse busy running up and down the hospitals in the course of duty. Newly registered nurses might find this shoe invaluable.
-Cushioning- the cushioning by the midsole absorbs the impact of long strides even on the fastest and longest runs.
Stability and support- the outsole has a full length, segmented crash pad that provides flexibility as you transition from heel to toe. The shoe effectively balances comfort, support, and flexibility.
Breathability and flexibility- the shoe has a breathable mesh that provides a good structure and breathability. This prevents the feet from feeling overheated while the flexibility of the upper allows for a no-pinch fit.
- Low impact on joints
- Adaptable DNA cushioning providing a secure fit
- Breathable upper
- Excellent toe room
- Not really eye-attractive
- Not build for speed
- Rigid initial run
- Poor responsiveness
What to look for when buying comfortable nursing shoes
Having to find comfortable nursing shoes is a chore that most nurses find distasteful. This is due to the number of hours spent and most end up giving up. While there are many options available online, it’s ideal to narrow your decision down. For example, do you need a slip-on or perhaps it’s a better idea to have a laced up shoe? What material should the shoe be, leather? Or maybe it should be synthetic? When you have figured out about the specific requirements that you are looking for, it is then much easier to start finding the most comfortable nursing shoe that fits your needs.
It is also important to buy shoes that you have tried on physically or maybe know someone who has. Although it is easy nowadays to shop online from your couch, it is also a good idea to go out and try shoes on in physical stores. This way, you can really feel the shoe.
If you already have done that, then shopping online is most times better due to the competitive pricing online shops offer compared to physical ones. Hopefully, with the aforementioned comfortable nursing shoes, you will find one that fits you.
We also recommend you check out our best Nike shoes for nurses article for more nursing shoe recommendations.